Monday, March 07, 2005

Oracle 10g

I decided to install Oracle 10g last night. I have no idea what possessed me to do this. I was feeling bored and wanted to get reacquainted with the 1/2 million dollar database. First I noticed the download is rather small. 1 570ish MB file. I was totally shocked. Oracle finally did something about the 100000 addons you get with their database, they made a companion CD. Maybe one day, Microsoft will take the hint and stop including 1000+ fonts with Windows :).

So after the zip file was done downloading, I decompressed it, and installed it. The installer is somewhat improved, only took 30 minutes, last time it too almost 3 hours. I chose all the basic options, and clicked "Next". It hummed along and displayed adds how this version is so much better than the last, and how there are countless new features I will probably never need or use.

When I rebooted and ran it, Oracle decided it wasn't enough just to run, it had to eat up 200+MB of Memory. I was like, dude! Woah, I don't even have anything loaded yet and you are taking up 200+ MB of my RAM. I have a GB, but that isn't the point. I think I might uninstall it, I'm not too sure yet. I'm supposed to help a teacher out this term at DeVry so I might keep it installed so I can have something to practice on when I get to mark labs.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa, 200MB! I remember running 9i on a P3 750Mhz machine, it was brutal!

7:54 PM  
Blogger Chris Stepaniuk said...

Yes,

I was not impressed! I do like Oracle, but that seemed like overkill. Oracle needs to consider some .NET managed support for their database, that would be cool. The JAVA runtime is just a little sluggish.

7:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home